- Created on 10 Oct 2013
By Brandon Moseley
Alabama Political Reporter
On Tuesday, Dr. Chad Mathis (R) from Indian Springs announced his candidacy for Congress. On Wednesday, the conservative doctor collected his first national endorsement when FreedomWorks PAC officially endorsed Dr. Chad Mathis's run for Congress in Alabama’s 6th Congressional District.
FreedomWorks PAC President Matt Kibbe said in a written statement, “Our fiscal house is in chaos. Congress has lost sight of our constitutional principles, and career politicians are to blame. If we are going to change the status quo in Washington, we need to start by sending people to Congress who understand how big the mess is, and who have the backbone to fix it. We need to elect citizens who have more experience in the private sector than the government sector, and Dr. Mathis is that kind of citizen.”
Dr. Mathis said in a statement, “I'm honored to have the support of FreedomWorks PAC because they stand for the same ideals of lower taxes, less government, and more freedom that the people of Alabama's 6th District share. Our campaign stands proudly with grassroots conservatives who believe it's time for a new kind of conservative leader who will hold the line on spending and end Obamacare.”
Mathis is running for the Sixth District Congressional District currently held by Rep. Spencer Bachus (R) from Vestavia. After serving in the seat for 21 years Bachus announced that he would not seek re-election when his current term expires.
On Tuesday, Dr. Mathis told an estimated crowd of 95 friends, family, and supporters, “I’m running because I love God, my family, Alabama, and the Constitution. When I look at my children, Abby and Ben, I want to be able to tell them I did everything I could to stop out of control government spending and Obamacare.”
Dr. Mathis said that if elected he would work to hold the line on spending, cut taxes, kill Obamacare, stop running deficits, balance a budget, and make government smaller. I will tackle these issues so Alabama’s 6th District families have more opportunities and freedom.” Dr. Mathis said, “I’ve read every word of Obamacare, and I know it will ruin America’s healthcare system, kill jobs, and drive up costs for Alabamians. We’ve had Obamacare in place for a week now, and it’s already on life support. The citizens of the 6th Congressional district deserve better than broken government websites and empty healthcare promises.”
Also on Tuesday, Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange (R) announced that he would not seek the seat.
Dr. Mathis has been practicing medicine for the last decade and helped start the Alabama Bone and Joint Clinic, He also was the founding chairman of the Alabama Coalition for Charter Schools.
The Republican Primary will be in June 2014.
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Byrne Accuses Dean Young Campaign of Dirty Campaigning Tactics - 11/10/2013 06:49
- Chief of Staff Seen with White-Collar Defense Attorney in Lee County - 11/10/2013 06:45
- Armistead Comments on McCutcheon v. FEC Case - 11/10/2013 06:40
- JobKeeper Alliance Tells Environmental Group Not To Use Lawsuit To Block Northern Beltline - 11/10/2013 06:38
- Former County Commissioner Nodine Continues Public Legal Battle - 10/10/2013 06:39
Older news items:
- Roby Votes to Restore Funding for Military Death Benefits - 10/10/2013 06:35
- Bentley Announces New Steel Tubing and Pipe Plant in Lawrence County - 10/10/2013 06:32
- Meadows and Polizos Advance to Runoff - 09/10/2013 07:14
- Roby Says She Never Wanted A Government Shutdown - 09/10/2013 07:08
- Mathis Announces Campaign for Congress in District Six - 09/10/2013 07:05