- Created on 19 Sep 2013
MONTGOMERY – Governor Robert Bentley on Wednesday announced the timeline for a special election to fill the District 53 seat in the Alabama House of Representatives.
The District 53 seat was previously held by Representative Demetrius Newton, who passed away last week.
“I had the honor of serving with Representative Newton in the House of Representatives for eight years,” Governor Bentley said. “He was a fine public servant, and we had a strong mutual respect for each other. He will be greatly missed, not only by his own constituents – but also by the entire state of Alabama.”
“The election timeline I’m announcing today will provide representation for the people of District 53 as soon as possible,” Governor Bentley added. “This will give candidates time to qualify, it will allow voters time to learn about the candidates, and it will provide time for those who are unable to vote in-person to arrange to vote by absentee ballot.”
District 53 covers portions of Jefferson County. According to the election timeline finalized on Wednesday:
- A Special Primary Election will be held on Tuesday, December 3, 2013.
- If necessary because of one candidate not receiving a majority of the votes in the Special Primary Election, a Special Primary Runoff Election will be held on Tuesday, January 28, 2014.
- If a Special Primary Runoff Election is not necessary because one candidate receives a majority of the votes in the Special Primary Election, the Special General Election will be held on Tuesday, January 28, 2014.
If a Special Primary Runoff Election is required, the Special General Election will be held on Tuesday, March 25, 2014.
Candidates qualifying with major political parties must do so by Thursday, October 10, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. The two major political parties are to certify their qualified candidates to the Secretary of State as soon as possible after the qualification deadline but by no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 11, 2013.
All third-party candidates, independent candidates, and/or minor party candidates seeking ballot access are advised that their deadline for filing the appropriate notification, petitions or supporting paperwork with the Secretary of State is Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at 4:00 p.m.
Newer news items:
- Brooks Will Hold Academy Day Sunday For North Alabama Students - 20/09/2013 06:20
- Rainy Day Patriots to Host Thomas Beach - 19/09/2013 06:43
- Republican PSC Commission Candidates Forum in Northport Thursday - 19/09/2013 06:41
- McClendon Holds Fundraiser in Moody - 19/09/2013 06:36
- Brooks Rejects the Argument that the Best Way to Stop Syrians From Killing Syrians is for Americans to Kill Syrians - 19/09/2013 06:34
Older news items:
- Congressional Candidates Debate as Primaries Approach - 18/09/2013 07:04
- Sessions Co-Sponsors Cruz's Defund Obamacare Act Of 2013 - 18/09/2013 06:54
- Hillyer Announces Campaign Leadership Team - 18/09/2013 06:49
- Williams Proposes Giving Immunity to Athletes Who Testify Against Agents - 18/09/2013 06:46
- Roby Says that the House will Take Up Reforms to Food Stamps Program - 18/09/2013 06:42