02 Aug 2012
- Last Updated on Sunday, 05 August 2012 16:54
- Published Date
By: Phil Williams, Alabama State Senator
It was with real interest that I watched (and participated in) the Chick-Fil-A wars yesterday. I read many postings, articles and comments on both sides, but here is my personal perspective: I believe that this is about far more than just how you feel about gay marriage. It is several key things all wrapped up into one….
- It is about making a positive statement about a bedrock principle. Instead of “occupying Wall Street”, or protesting on a public street, or mudslinging, conservatives and Christians made it a point to openly support the free market in the simplest (and yet loudest) way possible by buying the goods of a merchant who dared to take a stand.
- It is about pushing back against liberal political bullying. The very idea that someone should be castigated for merely openly expressing their opinion is the height of hypocrisy from liberals who would have no patience with someone faulting them for their own beliefs.
- And yes, it is about gay marriage. We should not condemn, but neither should we be forced to condone. This is still, by and large, a conservative nation founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs and anyone who considers that archaic or out-of-touch is not paying attention…..well, yesterday I think that we got their attention.
I for one support the constitutional right to freedom of speech. I support the maintenance of traditional marriage as being between one man and one woman. And I for one support Chick-Fil-A.
Newer news items:
- Quin Hillyer: Bentley Flunks Education Reform - 20/08/2012 07:02
- The decision is yours but consider the facts and vote - 17/08/2012 07:01
- When It Comes To Jobs, There Is No Alternative - 09/08/2012 06:26
- NEW BAN ON TEXTING WHILE DRIVING DESIGNED TO SAVE LIVES ON ALABAMA’S ROADWAYS - 08/08/2012 06:57
- GOP Chairman Reacts to July Jobs Numbers - 06/08/2012 06:12